Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Prayer Changes Things

I have told myself and close friends that I need to stand in front of a mirror and practice saying the word “no” aloud. I need to see what it looks like. I need to practice “no” with loving expressions. I need to experience how it feels deep down to say “no”. Why? Because all too often I say yes and commit to “doing” something before I’ve prayed to make sure it’s a task my Heavenly Father desires for me.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

~Philippians 4:6

At times, I have had too many consecutive “yes” tally marks, while the “no” column often has none. This leads to a very unbalanced life of a lot of “doing, “being” is left whistling with its hands in its pockets, and I am a frazzled anxious mess. I’ve been reduced to a sobbing tirade of tears squandering a box of tissues.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

~Matthew 6:33

So, my first step in the process of learning how to “be” in the “doing” is to PRAY! It’s best to “be” in prayer to seek the wise counsel of the Holy Spirit before you “do” anything. Did I just really say that, because…WOW…I fall way short of prayers before everything I “do”. You really can’t “be” in what you “do” unless you take Jesus with you into it. Don’t leave God out from the get go. Pray first, then “do”, and the “be” will follow.

“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

~John 14:26

Dear Heavenly Father,

I thank you for your patience with my reckless decision making without talking it out with you first. Please help me to remember to seek you first in all my decisions. I want to take the time to sit in prayer and be sure what I’m about to “do” is what you desire and have planned for my life. If I am in your will it will be much easier for me to “be” in your presence while I “do” the work you have put before me.

~Amen

No comments: