Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Soul Finds Rest in God Alone

I have been a bit flat on my feet lately in my spiritual walk. I realized about a week ago I had put other persons and other things as a higher priority than God. I know…I know…how could I let this happen. But it did and God had to wrap me upside my head…shake me up a bit…allow me to have a pity party and wallow in my tears for a while. And now, well, I think I’m on the upswing of an attitude check God ordained.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I didn’t just walk away from God. I mean…I still prayed, read his Word (occasionally when time allotted), and tried to walk a Christ like life, but it’s hard to live this Christian life if Christ is not the center. I had Jesus way over to the left I think…somewhere…and my eyes could not see Him in front of me because I had left the starting gate without Him.

Since my discovery of senseless living, I have sorrowfully…on my knees…asked my Savior for forgiveness.  In my many conversations with the Lord after this moment, I realize just how much I have missed Him and the peace He alone can give a God chaser heart. Life is better with Him rather than dismal attempts to go it alone. If I could only just remember, I was made by God for God. Not by God to fulfill my desires. So I’m taking the time to seek His face and not His hand. I want His love, grace, and mercy to soak the deepest parts of my soul, because only in Him will my soul find rest as I walk this journey called life. So I leave you with this scripture…

Psalm 61

1 Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
2 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

3 How long will you assault me?
Would all of you throw me down—
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 Surely they intend to topple me
from my lofty place;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.[b]

5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God[c];
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.

9 Surely the lowborn are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie.
If weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion
or put vain hope in stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken,
two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
12 and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
according to what they have done.”

1 comment:

Thx41more said...

You couldn't have put it any better than that. I have felt the same way lately and it's just my own laziness that has kept me from God. He doesn't move away from us, we move away from Him. How He puts up with us, I'll never know. It's His amazing grace that keeps us from falling too far.

Thank you!