Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life Evolves


I feel life changing right before my very eyes. I guess it didn’t happen suddenly, but it seems suddenly upon me at this time. I took my oldest son out yesterday for a strawberry shake after school. As he sat across from me tall, slim, and handsome, I could still see his childhood face. But now before me was a young man…18 years old and going off to college in the fall. I laughed as he told me I looked young to have a child as old as him. He knows the way to his mother’s heart.

Later the same evening, we celebrated my daughter’s 16th birthday. She was absolutely beautiful as she sat smiling over her cupcakes in the glow of the candles as we sang “happy birthday” to her. She doesn’t think she is ready to drive yet (which is fine by me), but at times a feel I barely see her as her bedroom has become her favorite room.

And then there is my sweet Samuel. He is nearing 12 years old (next month) and growing taller by the minute. I have come to love and cherish the moments he sits next to me on the couch and cuddles. I just want to make him stay little and not grow up on me.

I guess you could say I miss my babies. Abe (my oldest son) is gone this weekend to Myrtle Beach on a band trip. It will just be the four of us at home…a big reminder of what it is going to be like this fall when Abe leaves for Middle Tennessee State University. And in a couple of years it will just be Samuel when my daughter leaves for college. Then Samuel will be gone too and then it will just be Bill and I…back where we started…just the two of us.

I have no regrets of the time I spent and the sacrifices I made for my children.
 

No comments: