Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mind Tug of War

I’m in a battle between the dark spaces of my mind and where the light seeks to push through the darkness. The light is there…I know it is…but why has the bleakness of humanity squelched my drive to find the light. I hear the taunting laugh of Satan as he pulls his end of the rope thrusting my body forward. I mumble through my clenched teeth,

“I’ll never return. You can not have me!”

I regain my grip though my hands sweat with blood and feel the strength under my feet return. I pull with all of my might, but only to gain such little ground. My hair drips with sweat, my chin nearly touches my chest in defeat, and my arms tremble with infinite weakness as I fear I must give in and let go.

When my burning hands released their grip from the rope…another set of hands come from no where. They are the hands of my Master. The Prince of Peace. Satan’s cackle becomes very faint as if falling into a hole that reaches the center of the Earth. Before my body flings to the dirt in gut wrenching pain, His hands, they pick me up. They cuddle me. They brush the dirt away. The gentle hands of my Healer made my wounds disappear. He held me for a long while and sang over me. His sweet voice soothes the battle within my mind.

Prayer
Lord, please help me with the battle that rages from time to time within the confines of my mind. Satan loves to put me down, tell me lies, and make me feel unworthy to be called a child of God. Remind me to fight the fiery arrows of the evil one with the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20) and not with my own strength. Please catch me when I fall and then sing sweetly over me and replace confusion with your sweet peace!

1 comment:

Beth in NC said...

That is exactly what happens in the battle for our souls and all that God has for us.

I am thankful that GREATER is He who is within us than he who is in the world.

Bless you,
Beth