Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Beauty for Ashes

As I checked out some of my most favorite blogs this morning, the title of one caught my eye. It read, “Meaningful Beauty”. I loved how the two words rolled off my tongue, but most of all I loved what it made me think. The wonderful cross etched itself quickly in my mind’s eye. Actually, it wasn’t a pretty site at all. The picture contained the image of my King beaten, bruised, and bleeding beyond recognition. Did the crown of thorns bother him more than his nail pierced hands?




I pondered the thought for a few moments and then a Bible verse I had memorized many years ago began to speak softly deep within me…

“And provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.”

~Isaiah 61:3

When Christ rose from the grave, the ashes fell and a crown of life appeared to take the place of the black soot of unworthiness. He replaced mourning and despair with joy and praise for a Savior who paid the ultimate price to give abundant life to all who choose His ways. As God’s children we become like a tree planted by the water, unmoved, not shaken, and standing on the precious promises of our Heavenly Father. We are the display of His splendor!

Now that’s “Meaningful Beauty”!

No comments: